IMPORTANT NOTE: This tool is not prescriptive, does not write your essay, nor guarantee prediction of assessment or HSC questions. It may, however, assist students and teachers build literacy skills and understanding.
Essay structure and contents
The verb is discuss: which means the essay will be positive and negative impacts or effects, addressing advantages and disadvantages, for and against.
The active verb is effects, which means this word must appear in your intro, your conclusion and it (or a synonym) several times during your essay.
Note: a marker should be able to read your introduction and write out the entire question
that you have been asked without seeing the question. That is, from the language and content of your introduction, the marker should be able to name the directive verb
, the active verb
, the terminology area
and the scope
of the question. The introduction should also signal the structure for the scope of the essay.
Theory setup (max 2 pages)
The terminology area is the Australian dollar
. The theory setup must include:
- a definition of exchange rate, and mention TWI
- reference to the floating of the dollar versus a fixed system
- drawn and explained graph of supply and demand for the AUD
- outline of factors that impact supply and demand causing appreciation and depreciation
- demonstrate awareness of movements in the AUD over last 10 years
- reference to RBA direct intervention in dirtying the float
Scope (3-8 pages)
The scope is on the Australian economy
. Structure to consider is IBG+
- I: Individuals, one para positive, one para negative impacts
- B: Business, one para positive, one para negative
- G: Government, one para that addresses revenue and spending impacts on the government
- G+: Government plus, para addressing GDP growth impact, para addressing external stability (full employment and price stability), para addressing external stability, and then address environmental and income distribution impacts
- then consider a counterpoint:
- whilst these are the classical, theoretical impacts of the terminology area on the Australian economy - did they happen?
- To what extent did globalisation, GFC, quantitative easing, Eurozone softness, increasing or decreasing terms of trade or the industrialisation of China have a larger impact?
- To what extent did micro reform impact those objectives, rather than the terminology area?
Here you must return to the verb and the impact verb to demonstrate that you have answered the question.